Wellness Resources for Healthcare Providers
Virtual Grand Rounds
Time: 7:00-8:00am PST
Specialty: Physician Vitality and Wellness
Speakers: Barbara Hernandez, PhD, LMFT
Topic: Thinking in the Fast Lane: Evidence-Based Hacks to Support Wellbeing and
Affiliation: Loma Linda University
Care for Your Coronavirus Anxiety
Virus Anxiety is a toolkit platform for fears and anxiety associated with the novel
coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak including meditation, isolation, financial
concern, anxiety, finding support, and advice for parents.
American Psychological Association provides a series of resources for newly remote workers, employers, those
seeking teletherapy, and those looking for reliable sources of information
Center for Disease Control (CDC) is providing information and resources on management of anxiety and stress,
particularly for groups such as parents, responders and healthcare providers,
and those released from quarantine.
Find Help is an simple online tool to help find food assistance, assistance paying
bills, and other free or reduced-cost programs that help those affected
by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Crisis Hotlines & Chat Lines
Crisis Text Line is available 24/7 by texting TALK to 741741.
IMAlive is a confidential and secure chat line supporting those in crisis.
Lifeline Crisis Chat is available 24/7 providing online emotional support, crisis intervention,
and suicide prevention services.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 by calling 1(800)-273-8255 (TALK). National Suicide
Prevention Lifeline provides support to those in suicidal crisis or emotional
SAMHSA’s National Helpline is available 24/7 by calling 1(800)-22-4357 (HELP), providing support
for circumstances related to substance abuse and related depression, burnout,
Free Online CME Courses
American Medical Association provides a series of free online continuing medical education (CME) courses
including information on resiliency, distress, and burnout in chapters,
videos, and podcasts. The courses allow physicians and healthcare providers
to earn up to 11.5 CME total at no cost.
Medscape provides free online modules for continuing medical education (CME) on
physician wellness. To earn credit,
create a Medscape account and pass a short quiz at the end of each module.
Wellness Apps, Podcasts, & Ted Talks
“Feeling Anxious Right Now? These Therapy Apps Can Help You Manage
Your Mental Health” is a journal article by FastCompany on smartphone apps to help find therapy
and other mental health resources.
Headspace is a wellness app focused on mindfulness, meditation, and wellbeing exercises.
Headspace is offering Headspace Plus free for US healthcare professionals
through 2020. To redeem, use your National Provider Identifier (NPI) and
Downdog is an app that creates a unique experience for practicing yoga, meditation
and workouts. Downdog is free for all healthcare workers through July
1, 2021. To register, click on the link and fill out the information required.
Podcasts for Finding Meaning in Medicine
Fascinating Clinical Stories is a medical podcast by Dr. Adam Rodman about fascinating stories in clinical
The Doctor Paradox is an iTunes podcast series is designed to be an antidote to clinician
burnout with interviews exploring how clinicians have maintained their
enthusiasm working either in traditional or non-traditional roles.
Narrative Medicine Rounds from Columbia University are lectures presented by scholars, clinicians, and writers engaged in
work at the interface between narrative and health care.
The Burnout Doctor Podcast is a podcast to help pharmacists and healthcare professionals reset burnout
and curate a happier life. A podcast workbook is also available for free
The Joy Of Medicine - On Call Podcast is a podcast aimed at exploring the many paths physicians take to bring
joy into their practice of medicine and promoting physician wellness by
focusing on topics of mindfulness, burnout, stress management, and joy.
10 Ted Talks for Burnout
Identifying & Addressing Burnout
- Burnout: The Cost of Caring, Christina Maslach
- Healing Physician Burnout: Diagnosing, Preventing, and Treating, Quint Studer
- Preventing Physician Burnout: Curing the Chaos and Returning Joy to the
Practice of Medicine, Paul DeChant MD, MBD, Diane W. Shannon, MD, MPH
- Physician Burnout A Guide To Recognition and Recovery, Tom Murphy, MD
- Stop Physician Burnout: What to Do When Working Harder Isn’t Working,
Dike Drummond, MD
- The Resilient Practitioner: Burnout Prevention and Self-Care Strategies
for Counselors, Therapists, Teachers, and Health Professionals, Thomas Skovholt
- The Truth About Burnout: How Organizations Cause Personal Stress and What
to Do About It, Christina Maslach, Michael P. Leiter
- Healthy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine, Saki Santorelli
- Mindfulness for Beginners: Reclaiming the Present Moment and Your Life,
Jon Kabat-Zinn PhD
- Mindful Therapy: A Guide for Therapists and Helping Professionals, Thomas Bien, PhD
- One-Moment Meditation: Stillness for People on the Go, Martin Boroson
- Teaching Mindfulness: A Practical Guide for Clinicians and Educators, Donald
McCown, Diana Reibel, Marc Micozzi
- The Art and Science of Mindfulness: Integrating Mindfulness into Psychology
and the Helping Professions, Shauna Shapiro, PhD, Linda Carlson and Jon
- The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician’s Guide to Mindsight and Neural
Integration, Daniel Siegel, MD
- Finding a Balance in a Medical Life, Lee Lipsenthal, MD
- How to Survive in Medicine: Personally and Professionally, Jenny Firth-Cozens
- Staying Human During Residency Training: How to Survive and Thrive After
Medical School, Alan Peterkin, MD
- The Resilient Physician: Effective Emotional Management for Doctors and
Their Medical Organizations, Wayne Sotile and Mary Sotile
- Overcoming Secondary Stress in Medical and Nursing Practice: A Guide to
Professional Resilience and Personal Well-Being, Robert Wicks
Promoting Well-Being & Finding Meaning
Assessing & Addressing Emotional and Psychological Distress